As part of my campaign during this cycle’s Mozilla Reps Council Election, hereunder are my answers to the following questions:
What are the top three issues that you would want the Council to address were you to join the Council?
- Lack of training on how to be an effective Mozilla Rep; turn Mozilla Reps into Leaders & Builders;
- Inactive Mozilla Rep Mentors (and Mozilla Reps);
- Make events organized by Mozilla Reps more strategic (local community-wise).
What is in your view the Mozilla Reps program’s biggest strength and weakness?
- The Mozilla Reps Program’s biggest strength is enabling contributors (Reps) to have more self confidence to talk about the mission and projects of the organization.
- The Mozilla Reps Program’s biggest weakness is the lack follow through on side projects and mentorship.
Identify something that is currently not working well in the Mozilla Reps program and which you think could be easy to fix?
- The selection process and training for new Mozilla Reps Mentors is not working pretty well. Next to the Reps Council, Reps Mentors should act as guide to their Mentees and not just someone whose approval is required during Budget & Swags Requests. I believe that Mentors should be equally (if not more) active to the Reps Program than their Mentees.
What past achievement as a Rep or Mentor are you most proud of?
- As a Mozilla Rep, being chosen as the July 2012 Featured Rep is already an achievement. To talk about Firefox OS on live nationwide television [http://youtu.be/RcoUrWyjYPQ] is a big achievement, not just for myself but for the local Mozilla Community as well.
- As a Reps Mentor, having a Mentee chosen as a Featured Rep is an overwhelming achievement.
What are the specific qualities and skills that you have that you think will help you be an effective Council member?
- Analytical Thinking
- Vast Community Experience (including those outside of Mozilla)
As a Mentor, what do you do to try to encourage your inactive Mentees to be active again?
- As a Reps Mentor, I make it a point to get in touch with all of my Mentees on a regular basis (monthly or even twice monthly if their are not that active). I encourage them to get in touch with other contributors in their locale and help other Reps in organizing events.
- Not just motivating as in simply sending them an email reminder of the things, I make sure that are given the sufficient guidance that they need. I encourage them to persevere and aim high so they can develop their potential. I open them to opportunities for them to level-up their skills and look forward to things in the Reps Program.